Online roulette for real money
Roulette is one of the most popular casino games throughout the world. Having simple rules, roulette online offers lots of fun, feature-rich entertainment and an unforgettable experience. There are plenty of game variations and styles, but knowing the most basic rules and betting strategies, you can play online all roulette variations: American, European, French and more. On OnlineRoulette.money, you will find how to play and win at online roulette by using some of the tried and tested methods, systems, tips, and tricks that have proved successful and will make your playing more profitable.
In broad strokes, modern roulette is played by placing stakes on numbers shown on a wheel. After the ball stops spinning and falls into a numbered pocket on the wheel, you will either win or lose depending on which number, group of numbers or colour you have placed your bet. When playing roulette online, the rules are basically the same as when playing at a brick-and-mortar casino – you get the same house/player odds, hours of entertainment and the Las Vegas casino atmosphere.
All online casinos offered on the website have a trustworthy reputation and provide a safe and secure gambling environment. If you gravitate toward playing online roulette for real money, you will surely enjoy the highest quality software, fair gaming and non-stop entertainment.
What is online roulette?
Whether as a hobby or a way to make easy money, online roulette is a superior entertainment and a trendy pastime for many gamblers in the U.S., Europe, Australia, Canada and beyond. Online roulette game is based on chance and luck, but players should also apply skills and knowledge of strategy to win as many rounds as possible. Any online roulette consists of a few main elements, no matter the roulette variation: a roulette wheel, table grid, and user interface. We’ll explore each part of roulette later. Roulette games are also known to have a fixed RTP (or fixed odds); this means you can calculate your exact chances of hitting a win before the wheel starts spinning.
Roulette wheel online
Depending on the roulette type, a wheel is divided into 37 or 38 equal wedges with one or two green sections. As you might have noticed, the numbers seem to run chaotically, without any logic; however, there’s a system behind this sequence.
Each number is categorised as 1) even/odd, 2) high/low, and 3) red/black. Neighbouring numbers on the wheel tend to have as few common features as possible; for example, you will not find two black or two red numbers adjacent to each other. The sequence of numbers is different on American and European wheels, but their logic is always the same.
User interface in online roulette
A player interacts with the game through a user interface, which is very similar across game versions. There is normally a chip rack with a few chip denominations tied to the game limits, e.g. $0.5, $1, $5, etc. Besides, there are a few buttons such as ‘Repeat’ (serves to place the same bet as was in the previous round), ‘x2’ (to place the bet twice as high), and ‘Remove’ (take all chips from the grid). Certainly, there can be other UI elements in a roulette game online.
Additionally, all roulette games have settings enabling one to tweak the gaming process and make it more comfortable. For example, many live roulette games have video quality options, which are useful in poor internet conditions. Online roulette casino players can also adjust sound, change table colour, and view game statistics.
Table limits in online casino roulette
Table limits may vary in different roulette games; they can start at one cent and reach thousands of dollars, so both first-timers and professional gamblers will find a game to suit their style and budget. When you play roulette online, you will notice that every table has individual limits for each bet type, along with the general table limit. An example below is taken from Zoom Roulette by Betsoft:
- Straight Up: $25
- Split: $25
- Street: $25
- Corner: $50
- Line: $100
- Dozen/Column: $250
- Even-money: $500
The example above features somewhat low numbers. Generally, casino online roulette tends to have higher maximum limits that can reach $10,000.
Types of roulette online games
Roulette does not have many variations. In fact, there are only three main types. Some providers also come up with unusual roulette variants that are usually called ‘bonus roulette’. Besides, there are live roulette titles (PowerUp Roulette, Lightning Roulette) featuring multiplier elements that cash prizes up to 500x; however, they have a reduced Straight Up payout (normally, 29:1). Let’s take a look at the types of online roulette games you can play for real money.
This is the main and most popular type of online and live roulette. If you visit any online roulette casino, odds are good most titles will have a European layout. This is a classic game with a single zero and 97.3% RTP. Most European Roulette games have Call bets and Neighbour bets that add fun and increase the scope of possible bet combinations a player can perform.
This is a double-zero roulette where the player’s edge is about twice as much as in European Roulette online. Notwithstanding the 5.2% house edge, this game is a favourite for many players out there, as it is more unpredictable and thrilling than its single-zero brothers. American Roulette does not differ much from ER in the table layout. Sure, there are distinctions, but they are not evident at first glance to a novice. Let’s explore the two types of roulette and the features that differentiate them.
The French layout looks like a major difference, but on close inspection, you can see it’s all lipstick. Its table grid with betting zones displays bet names in French (Impair, Passe, etc.). This type has the same order of numbers on the wheel as in European Roulette (0, 32, 15, 19, and so on). The only relevant difference between French roulette and other layouts is the use of La Partage and En Prison rules; however, they are not often found in online casino games. In layman’s terms, these rules decrease the house edge to 1.35% for even-money stakes.
European vs American Roulette: which is better?
The main difference that has an effect on the gameplay and winning odds is the number of green zeros. In European Roulette, there is one zero (0), while American Roulette has two (0, 00). This results in an increased house edge for American Roulette; in fact, a player gives his bet to the house twice as often.
So if you ask which game version is better, the answer is ‘European Roulette’. There are many players who stick to the double-zero wheel, but if you want to get the most out of your bankroll, pick any European roulette and enjoy the best odds and payouts.
Unique online roulette games
Classic single- and double-zero roulettes are the mainstream titles in online casinos worldwide. However, some providers come up with roulette games that look and feel different to the classic types. They often have a twist that changes players’ payouts, the wheel design, and other aspects. Below are listed some of the best online roulette games that have an off-trail design and rules:
- 100 to 1 Roulette (NYX): The game has an oval virtual wheel with 100 numbers and five house pockets of green colour. Straight Up bets here pay out 100:1. The house edge varies between 5.71% and 3.81%, depending on the bet option. It's not the best choice, but a fun game to add diversity to gambling.
- Golden Chip Roulette (Yggdrasil): A single-zero roulette with a Golden Chip feature. If placed on a single number, the bonus chip will pay out 10x to 500x the bet. Notably, the RTP is cut to 96.8% if you play for real money with a golden bet.
- Mini Roulette (Spribe): This simplified version has only 12 numbers to bet on. Given its dwarf format, it is surprising to see a 97% RTP in the game. No house-favoured pockets are on the wheel. However, a casino benefits from a slightly reduced payout for each bet, e.g. 11.64x for a single number (its true odds are 12:1).
Bet types in casino roulette online
As you might know, bet types fall under two groups: inside and outside (this applies to all normal types of roulette). Live roulette online casinos have exotic game variations, such as Lightning Roulette with a single zero and bonus payouts, and even roulette-based game shows have the same types of bets. Additionally, many titles have what is known as Neighbour bets and Announced (Call) bets, which originate from classic French tables but are now featured in other types, too.
As a rule of thumb, newcomers to roulette should hold to outside bets as they have a higher hit frequency. Ideally, you should go with red/black and other outside bets that pay out 1:1 since their odds are 48.65% in European and French Roulette. Read the brief outlines of each type of bet found in online roulette games.
Inside and outside bets
Inside bets can be placed on a single number or a group of numbers. They are called ‘inside’ due to their position on the grid. Bets of this category are deemed to be riskier because they have lower odds. On the other hand, they will bring you higher wins if the ball lands on the number covered by your bet. The inside bets are as follows:
- Straight Up: One number is covered only. A player can also bet on zero. The payout here is 35:1.
- Split: Chips are placed on a line dividing two numbers, so either number will bring you 17:1 if won.
- Street: Chips are put at the beginning of a three-number row, e.g. 1-2-3, 13-14-15, etc. Payouts are 11:1.
- Corner: Four numbers are affected by this bet. Chips are placed at the crossing point of these four numbers. Corner bets pay out 8 to 1.
- Six-Line bet: Players place chips at the outer horizontal line of the grid, where a vertical line between two rows starts. You will be awarded 5 to 1 if any of the six numbers is hit on the wheel.
- Five-Number bet (only in American roulette): The winning numbers are 0, 00, 1, 2, 3. Experts call it the worst bet in AR because this is the only stake where the house edge is increased to a whopping 7.9%, from 5.26% for other bets.
As you can see from the list above, some inside bets are a good option, but they are pretty hard to land. An ideal way to get leverage from them is to take a combined approach by placing both inside and outside bets. The latter group is comprised of three types: Red/Black, High/Low, and Even/Odd. Each of them has a 1-to-1 payout and a hit probability of 48.65% (ER, FR) and 47.37% (AR).
Special bets in online roulette
While the above bets use the table layout as a basis for betting patterns, the logic of special bets rests on the online roulette wheel numbering. Expert players usually make complex bets that put together inside/outside and special options. This is made with the purpose of maximising the odds and overlapping a group of numbers with two or more bet options. For example, placing a Six-Line bet on 1-6 and a Straight Up on 4 will see you reaping 35:1 and 5:1 if the ball stops on number 4. So, you will get 40x times your bet in total. Let’s look at the special bets found in the best online roulette casinos:
- Neighbour Bets: If this option is available in your favourite online or live roulette, you can select the scope of neighbouring numbers to be covered by the bet around your targeted number. For example, you want to wager on 10 and three adjacent numbers to its left and right. So, in total, you will have to spend at least seven chips on 30-8-23 (left), 5-24-16 (right), and number 10 itself.
- Call Bets: There are four types, each spanning a certain scope of numbers: Voisins du Zero, Tiers du Cylindre, and a couple of others. Call bets are usually positioned on a special field called a ‘racetrack’. Experience shows that more than half of online and live roulette games have a racetrack feature in place.
Online roulette odds and RTP
European and French roulette (without La Partage and En Prison rules) has a 2.70% house edge. Interestingly, this value is relevant to all kinds of bets. It does not matter whether you go with single-number or low/high bets – the ultimate RTP is 97.3% in the long run. So, given the above RTP for ER/FR and the 94.74% RTP for American roulette, you can easily conclude you will theoretically get back about 97$ and 95$, respectively.
Mind that these values are approximate; they are effective for very long sessions (1000+ rounds). The implication is that playing roulette for real money, you can win a significant amount if you are lucky.
Live roulette in online casinos
All roulette variations can be developed in a live format. The essence of any live game is that it is streamed from a real land-based location, whether a casino or studio and in most cases, the action is held and managed by a real croupier unless you join an Auto roulette game with no dealer.
Live roulette online casinos are usually powered by top-notch providers such as Evolution, LuckyStreak, Vivo Gaming, Pragmatic Play, and others. All the rules, payouts, odds, and other aspects you can find above are applicable to live roulette games, with the only difference being its format of presentation.
Moreover, live games are more visually appealing, have exciting special effects, and have unique bonus features not found in online roulette. If you want to have some fun and increased payouts, try PowerUp or Lightning Roulette, both having a special 500:1 multiplier up for grabs. If you have a poor internet connection, live games allow you to downgrade the video quality.
The best bonuses in roulette online casinos
Many online casinos that you will find here offer lavish bonus programs, welcome packages and exclusive loyalty schemes to new and regular roulette players. However, there are certain restrictions that roulette fans should know. In fact, only 30 to 50 per cent of online casinos allow their promotions to be wagered on online or live roulette.
The matter is that every bonus is accompanied by a set of provisions, one of which sets forth the scope of games qualifying for that bonus. Video slots are usually counted in full (100%), while bets on table games, including roulette, give only part of its weight to bonus wagering (usually 10% to 50%). So when you try wagering a welcome bonus, reload bonus or other casino promotions, every $5 bet will be counted as $2.5 (or less) towards meeting the WR. So read bonus terms carefully before claiming any casino bonus.
Key features of online roulette bonuses
Our experts have summarised the most typical features pertinent to online casino bonuses that apply to roulette. Though this list is not comprehensive, it sums up the trends used in most online casinos:
- There are few roulette-only bonuses. In the majority of situations, they are general offers aimed at all casino games, including roulette.
- An average WR is 35x on most games. However, online and live roulette wagering is much trickier because of a cut-down contribution rate. That said, an ultimate WR for roulette games turns out to be 100x and higher.
- Some providers (Evolution, Pragmatic) hold roulette-targeted bonus events (promotions, tournaments, etc.). If you pick a casino with these providers in the library, look for the associated promos.
- Some online casinos (look at our recommended casino list for details) offer in-house roulette bonuses that work simply: For example, a player is offered a no-wager $7 cash prize if they land 7 on a Straight Up bet. Usually, bonuses of this kind have a very short duration: an hour or so.
- Mind your betting systems in roulette when wagering a bonus because some bets can be treated as ‘bonus abuse’, e.g. when you bet on red and black at the same time. Here, the chances of losing are small, but you can wager your bonus quickly, that is why many betting patterns in roulette are forbidden in this respect.
Mobile casinos with online and live roulette
Most casinos listed on the website provide you the opportunity to play roulette on any mobile device, i.e. to play roulette wherever you go with your tablet or smartphone. Today, you will hardly ever find a casino without a good mobile site version. Moreover, igaming companies have been making their roulette games mobile-compatible (HTML5) for a few years now. All UI buttons and chips are adequately spaced and large enough to be easily tapped with fingers. The graphics are very good, and nearly every game provides a perfect mobile experience.
Best roulette game providers
There are a few hundred studios that develop online casino games. We cannot recommend roulette games from every provider because some of them are of sub-par quality. However, if you see the games from the studios listed below, you may rest assured that they meet the highest standards in all areas.
The suite has three versions: European Roulette, American Roulette, and Zoom Roulette, all released in 2013. Notwithstanding their age, the games are popular with players. They have low max limits ($500 in most casinos), a racetrack for Call bets, and a page with detailed rules. The design and features are classic, with no bells and whistles.
An epic provider of live online roulette, Evolution creates games of unparalleled quality. Immersive Roulette, Lightning Roulette, Gold Vault Roulette, and Double Ball Roulette are just the tip of the iceberg. Multi-camera views allow you to follow every movement of the wheel and the ball. There’s a choice of rich features such as extensive stats, Autoplay, and favourite bets. Evolution is the number one choice for many gambling fans.
This is one of the most prolific game providers, with about two new games produced weekly. Moreover, their development team covers two verticals: non-live and live games. Their flagship live game – PowerUP roulette – has five bonus rounds culminating in the 8000x prize. Another title, Mega Roulette (released in Feb 2021), also has bonus multipliers and an immersive gameplay with multiple cameras.
An awesome online roulette maker with more than ten titles, some of which are tailored to high rollers, e.g. 3D Roulette has the $3000 max bet. All titles stick to the European rules, and Age of the Gods roulette features four progressive jackpots linked to 10+ slot games. Other titles from Playtech are Penny Roulette, Premium Roulette Pro, and 1000 Diamond Roulette. The minimum bet size is one cent in some games.
A big-name company with a modest collection of four roulette games: Advanced Roulette, European, French, and American Roulette. They all have flexible table limits, from 10 cents to $5000. NetEnt used to have a live casino platform, but after its merger with Evolution, it no longer has a live studio. Online roulette has a classic feel; it offers a racetrack for call bets and perfect mobile friendliness through the NetEnt Touch platform.
Online roulette strategies and tips
Roulette is based on pure mathematics, so experts and scientists developed a few roulette strategies back in the day. Knowing roulette odds, you can calculate the probabilities of every bet you make. Similarly, every strategy is premised on mathematical expectations of roulette bets. Read our detailed insights into roulette strategies on our website.
Roulette strategies work successfully until the moment you land a zero slot, and this is their major drawback. Take any winning strategy as an example, and they really look unbeatable; however, a green slot ruins everything, making every smart model useless. Sure, you can try any strategy, but be mindful of their limited efficiency. Read our tips that can be helpful for new online roulette players who want to play for real money:
- Start your online roulette experience with outside bets, as they have higher odds (but lower cash prizes).
- Claiming any bonus, make sure it can be wagered in online or live roulette, because many casinos exclude table games from wagering.
- Lean toward single-zero roulette games, as they have a higher RTP.
- Do not overestimate the importance of in-game stats. Seeing five black numbers in a row does not mean the chances of hitting a red number after that are higher than normal.
- If you have a low bankroll, scan the lobby of your favourite roulette online casino. Table limits are not uniform across games, and you can finally come across a version with low minimum stakes accepted.
Online casino roulette is ideal for smart punters who prefer taking time before each wheel spin. Unlike live roulette, there are no timeframes between rounds, so you can set your own pace and enjoy real-money online roulette whenever you want. Read articles published on our website to perfect your roulette skills and grow your confidence, whichever roulette version you are going to play.